Thursday 18 July 2013

On the Window Seat with Jennie Jones!

Today, I have the pleasure of sharing my window seat with romance author, Jennie Jones - a woman I know better as my Diamond sister! Jennie's fabulous debut rural romance, The House on Burra Burra Lane was release in June this year and has been doing fabulously on the amazon charts as well as hitting number one on iTunes! So if you haven't already snapped up a copy, be sure to grab one after finding out a little bit about the woman behind the romance :)




First things first, Jennie could you tell us five things about yourself as a person and as a writer (genre, hobbies, personality, are you a little on the quirky side?)

I write contemporary romance. I’m a romantic at heart. I’m a Leo so I’m all lioness (when happy or angry!). I like to think I’m a little quirky because that means I’m different. :)

(Haha, I've seen Jennie in both these states. Definitely living up to her Leo expectations hehe.)
 
When did you first start writing, Jennie? Was it just an unbridled urge to write or had it been a matter of ‘it’s now or never’?

I’ve always had a bit of the theatrical in me but I didn’t expect to become a writer - although it was an obvious choice for me, having been an actor for so many years, to move to writing when I found myself without an arty outlet.

Is there a reason as to why you write? And what’s your favourite part about being a writer?

There’s no reason why I write - I just write. I mean, I want to write - can’t envisage not writing now. But the connection, camaraderie and essence of being involved with other writers is an added pleasure.

(I believe many people mistaken the writerly life as a 'Lone wolf' kind of profession. If you've been behind the scenes or even attended a signing or a conference, you'll quickly adjust your opinion hehe)

Now, what inspires you? The novels you read? Other authors? Life itself?
 
People with spirit and courage inspire me and you find those in all walks of the daily grind. It’s always a pleasure to meet them or be surprised by them.  I don’t have much time to read these days but when I do, I love to be inspired by the characters in the story which means I’m inspired by the author.  (Double the pleasure.)

Tell our readers when your writing dream become a published reality? I sure remember :)
February 2013 - my novel The House on Burra Burra Lane (Book 1 in my Swallow’s Fall series) had been through a number of competitions and did wonderfully well but I knew it was out of the main frame for most publishers. Harlequin (Australia) digital-first imprint Escape Publishing changed that for me. They published my book in June this year - and they are fantastic to be with.
 
(Isn't her cover gorgeous!?)
 
What was the hardest part of the publishing process for you?

The hardest part was also the best part. Not giving up - I pushed myself to keep learning, keep changing and re-writing my story until I felt I had a chance.

(What was your mantra? 'If you build it, they will come'?)
 
Do you have any inspirational words for aspiring writers?

If you really want it, you’ll get it but it’s not easy. It takes courage and perseverance of a personal nature to keep moving forward.

Can you pitch your current/upcoming release to us in ten words or less?

Oh heck do I have to?  I loathe doing these! 

 A story of resistance: will Ethan’s past ruin Sammy’s future?
I think those writers who capture a storyline in anything under ten words are absolute geniuses.

Who is your favourite character in The House on Burra Burra Lane?

Ethan. I love him to bits.

(Oh, I've acquainted myself with Ethan hehe. Wouldn't mind if he was my vet :P)
So what’s next for Jennie Jones?

RWA conference in Fremantle, Perth in August. I’m involved with the committee and it’s so exciting to be a part of the organization that helped me become a writer.
After that - it’s on to Book 2 of the Swallow’s Fall series, Trouble on Main Street, where you’ll meet two newcomers in town.

(I wish I was going to the conference with you. The memory of last year's is etched in my mind. Can't wait to hear more about Trouble on Main Street!)

If you were about to encounter the rakish charms of an Irishman, what would you arm yourself with?

A book that might give me some insider clues - let’s say What Happens in Ireland by Whitney K-E. That should do it!

(Ooo, that sounds like a great book :P ) 

  If you had to write a warning to your readers about your novel, what would you say?
e.g. Warning: This novel contains a bounty of Irish Charm and side effects include drooling, terminal daydreaming of naked Irishmen and runaway heartbeats.

Wow Whitney! That’s so good I can’t beat it. I’ll have to join it …

The House on Burra Burra Lane

Warning: This novel contains a masculine veterinarian with quiet charm and side effects include falling in love with him or terminal daydreaming of naked male vets in general. (There’s also a runaway pig in the story - but you might not find that so sexy.)



(I don't know about that. The pig's got a little something, don't you agree readers?)

Now, for all writers, there’s something magical about creating a novel. What is your favourite part of creating a novel? Are you a Happily-Ever-After kind of writer, a cheeky black moment maker, or a first-sight-and-first-kiss kind of writer?

My favourite part is where abstract scenes come to me and I have to write them, even though I don’t know what affect they’ll have on my characters or the story. I find that magical. I’ve been known to write Chapter One and the Epilogue first, then fill in the middle bits with those magical, abstract scenes.

(Wonderful :))
Now, I’ve had some strange encounters where I’ve met my characters in real life. After I had created them! Has this ever happened to you?

No, but I wish it would! (Not such a good thought if you write crime or suspense though, huh? Dark alleys and evil men with weapons.)

(Hehe, I don't know. I wouldn't mind it as long as Daniel Craig was swooping in to save me :P)
Well, that's the end of my chat with the fantastic Jennie Jones. As always, thanks for joining me Jennie. :)
 
Thanks for having me in the window seat Whitney. There’s a grand view of the rolling hillsides. Is this where you wrote What Happens in Ireland?

Darling, we are siting in the very cottage itself hehe.
A quick thank you to all the readers who've come along to meet my dear friend. And don't forget, The House on Burra Burra Lane is a must read. If you like hunky vets and rural romance, it's definitely a must read. :)
 
Where to buy The House on Burra Burra Lane:
Harlequin (Australia) Escape Publishing (all where to buy links)
Amazon.com
iTunes

 
Where to find Jennie Jones:
 
Jennie Jones Romance
Facebook
Pinterest
Twitter (@JJRomance)
The Romantic Muse Blog

1 comment:

  1. Louise Reynolds18 July 2013 at 18:11

    Hi Whitney and Jennie. Had my eye on this one for a while now and didn't realise it was a series which makes it even more attractive. Off to buy it now! Loved the interview, ladies.

    ReplyDelete